Work with Us
Do you have a passion for kids and crafts? Join our team of dedicated educators this summer!
How to apply:
- Read through the Nuts & Bolts and our available positions.
- Ready to throw your hat in the ring?
- Send your resume and in place of a cover letter, tell us about a time when you were working with a child or group of kids that had a significant impact on you.
- Send both documents attached to an email with the subject line: Summer Job 2021 (+ the job you are applying for)
About Craftsman & Apprentice children’s programming:
We believe in the power of creative play and building self-sufficiency through heritage craft traditions like woodworking and fiber arts. All of our program offerings are based on the notion that kids are smart and capable of some pretty tough work. Pair great materials and instruction with creativity and the freedom to make mistakes, and you've got a place where kids thrive on making and doing. When kids explore materials, ideas, and techniques in a safe place, they can both succeed and fail with the confidence of knowing that it's all part of the process. We've taken what we know from more than a dozen years of working with kids and created programming that speaks to the craftsperson in all of us.
Nuts & Bolts:
10 hours of training hours must be completed before your start date. We’re flexible on timing. Training hours include going over the employee handbook, shadowing instructors, practice lessons and pedagogy, mandatory reporter training, and facilities training.
We’re here to empower you to be the best teacher possible. It’s a practice. We’re here to support each other.
- You must be able to work the entire length of the contract.
- We’ll pay for you to be CPR/First Aid certified!
- Must pass a state and national fingerprint background check.
- Potential for year-round employment
- Must be comfortable utilizing a range of materials, tools (power included), and techniques.
- Must be comfortable wearing a mask during the workday. You will be eligible for the vaccine upon hiring.
- We have a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. There’s no place for hate here at C&a.
Assistant Teacher 18+ only
Echinacea Location June 1st-July 30th
The shop assistant works with all groups in the summer/day camps at The Craftsman & Apprentice. A strong relationship between the assistant and the lead teacher is essential. The assistant is expected to contribute to a safe, positive, and friendly work environment. The assistant will be responsible for collaborating on lessons and activities and preparing materials, and maintaining a clean and organized environment.
- Prepare materials for each day. Ensure that materials are stored and presented in an organized and functional way (including basement storage areas)
- Maintain an up-to-date supply list for the program director
- Maintain an organized, clean, and functional space for children to work. This includes daily side work; sweeping, mopping, and cleaning bathrooms, etc.
- Alert Program Director in the case of needed repairs, concerns, etc.
- Assist in the implementation of all lessons and activities
- Actively support the emotional and physical safety of all children ● Follow all policies and procedures as stated in the handbook, including hand washing, snack preparation, etc.
- Follow all new COVID related health and safety measures, including symptom checks, masks, social distancing, and frequent hand-washing
- Assist in organizing, preparing, and packing orders.
- Jump in where needed, including creating displays, retail sales, etc.
- Participate in regular communication and reflection on camp progress.
- Ensure that staffing ratios are maintained at all times.
- Assist with record-keeping, including sign-in/sign out sheets and injury/accident reporting in a timely fashion.
- Stay aware of changes in activities/policy/procedure/scheduling via email/verbal communication.
- Ability to adapt quickly to children’s needs
- Fun, energetic, and positive effect
- Knowledge of best practices in arts education
- Ability to differentiate instruction and support
- Preferred: 2 + years of experience working with children in a creative setting