We believe that long summer days are for exploring, creating, and for getting dirty. At our Ancestral Skills Camp, campers will explore all things ancestral. It used to be that if we needed something, we went to the woods or the farmyard and made it ourselves. We believe that all people big and small crave self-sufficiency.
In this at-home version of our longest running camp, campers will learn about a different aspect of ancestral skills each day with unique projects and activities.
Perfect for kids ages 8+, younger kids may need adult assistance.
Plants and trees
- Create a foraging bag with a leaf and sun print
- Learn to identify five trees in your neighborhood
- Learn all about animal tracks and bird calls
- Create a clay animal tracks medallion
Sticks and stones
- Learn all about stone-aged technologies and tools
- Create your own arrow with real stone arrow head
- Learn about four types of found object shelters
- Create mini-shelters with sticks and twine provided
- Learn the basics of lashing and knot tying
- Learn all about ways people made their lives easier and more comfortable when they started to settle down.
- Make a rag coiled basket
- Cover stock
- Cloth bag
- 3 x Paint pots
- Tracking cards
- Arrow head
- Fabric scraps
- Paper instructions for the entire week
Additional supplies like scissors, glue guns, etc. are available in-shop or online.