We're Hiring Summer Staff!
Lead Summer Teacher
Seasonal Contract: Location: French American School
Hours: 8:15-3:30 M-F
Monday morning meeting @ 8am
PTO: 1 hour for every 30 worked
Start Date: Training days June 6/7th
Contract: Must be able to work entire contract term June 6th-Aug 2nd
Off July 4/5
Seasonal (part-time school year teaching opportunities available)
As the Lead Summer Teacher, you will facilitate week-long creative camps for kids ages 5-11 at the Craftsman & Apprentice workshop. We have a rotating curriculum of creative build-play themes each week. Your job is ensuring that every kid who walks through our doors feels love, joy, and connection. Our ideal teacher deeply respects children, understands the power of process-based creative work, and is enthusiastic and playful while keeping order.
As a lead teacher, you must be confident in supervising and collaborating with camp assistants and communicating with caregivers and kids positively and proactively. Be organized and manage the day and upcoming programming needs, including preparing materials and communications.
Our ideal teacher has a passion for all things handcraft and is a confident and creative problem solver in all aspects. A background in art education is preferred but optional. Must have at least two years of experience working with school-aged children.
- Prepare materials for each day according to lesson plans
- Ensure that materials are stored and presented in an organized and functional way ● Use the power and hand tools to create materials safely
- Maintain an up-to-date supply list for the program director
- Maintain an organized, clean, and functional space for children to work
- Alert the program director if needed repairs, concerns, etc.
- Facilitate and monitor all lessons and activities
- Facilitate outdoor recess
- Actively support the emotional and physical safety of all children
- Follow all policies and procedures as stated in the handbook
- Participate in regular communication and reflection on workshop progress
- Ensure that staffing ratios are maintained at all times
- Assist with record keeping, including sign-in/sign-out sheets and
injury/accident reporting in a timely fashion
- Stay aware of changes in activities/policy/procedure/scheduling via
- Ability to adapt quickly to children’s needs
- Be fun, energetic, and positive
- Knowledge of best practices in arts education
- Ability to differentiate instruction and support
- Stay aware of current programming and be able to “sell” our clients
- Take payments and maintain the retail area
- Be a leader: Direct/train workshop assistants
- Communicate with parents/caregivers
- Reliable transportation
- First Aid/CPR certified (we can help with this)
- CBI background check
- 21 + years old
- 2 + years of experience working with children in a creative setting (visual arts education background a plus)
o Be able to lift 50 lbs
o Be able to walk, bend, stand, and sit on the floor with children
for 8 hour day
o Be able to respond in an emergency physically
o Understand the risk of exposure to blood and bodily fluid
and use universal precautions in such situations.
Declaration: The foregoing description of duties and responsibilities is not a complete description. Other tasks and duties may be assigned as needed.